AskCounty.com got its name from creating 24 county-specific web sites. The original intent was to provide a low cost Internet alternative to local business owners so they would answer to Google. Although we still do this (cost is $350.00 per year), we have adopted some regional and other not-so-small businesses into the fold.
Each county web site has been consolidated to what you see today. Each local page listed below contains most every piece of information for locals and vistors alike. Contained within is:
- Schools - names, addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, locations
- Churches - did you know that most towns have more churches than businesses? They are all listed here.
- Police - Fire - Emergency Crews - Although we urge you to always remember "DIAL 911", this list has the non-emergency numbers.
- Utilities - Where do you go, who do you call in order to "hook stuff up"
- Government Offices - Where do you go to pay taxes? When are they due? Wher is town hall?
Encompassing approximately 427 square miles, Ashe’s boundaries have been a topic of continuing dispute throughout the years. The area was part of Anson County during the early English colonization period; became part of Rowan County in 1753, Surry County in 1771, Wilkes County in 1777 and was briefly part of the State of Franklin from 1784-89. Incorporated as a separate entity by the North Carolina General Assembly in 1799, Ashe County came into its own. There have, however been several small additional adjustments to our borders over time.
The county was formed in 1911 from parts of Caldwell County, Mitchell County, and Watauga County. It was named for Waightstill Avery, a colonel in the American Revolutionary War the first Attorney General of North Carolina (1777-1779). Avery County was the last county created in North Carolina. It is often noted for the large amount of Christmas trees that the county produces. It is a destination for many due to its concentration of recreational activities.
Altamont - Avery's Quarters - Balm - Banner Elk - Beacon Heights - Beech Creek - Beech Mountain - Big Bald - Big Haw Mountain - Big Meadows - Birchfield Creek - Blevins Creek - Blood Camp - Brushy Creek - Buckeye - Buck Hill - Bull Scrape - Careys Flats - Chestnut - Chicken Town - Cow Camp - Crab Orchard - Cranberry - Crossnore - Dark Ridge - Davis Mountain - Devil's Race Path Branch - Edgemont - Elk Park - Elk River Falls - End of Nowhere Branch - Frank - Green Valley - Grandfather Mountain - Grandmother Mountain - Hanging Rock - Harper Creek - Hawshaw Mountain - Heaton Hickory Nut Gap - Ingalls - Invershiel - Ivy Heights - Jonas Ridge - Kalmia - Kawana - Lick Log - Linville - Linville Falls - Linville Gap - Little Haw Mountain - Lost Cove Creek - MacRae Meadows - Minneapolis - Montezuma - Mount Pleasant - Newland - Norwood Hollow - Old Fields of Toe - Pineola - Plumtree - Poga - Powder Mill Creek - Pyatte - Roaring Creek - Roseborough - Sawmill Hollar - Senia - Seven Devils - Shawneehaw - Slippery Hill - Snow Wine Creek - Spear Squirrel Creek - Stack Rock Creek - Stamey Town - Stumptown - Sugar Mountain - Tater Town - The Snake Den - Three Mile - Trim Branch - Whaley- Whittaker - Wildcat Lake - Yellow Mountain
Buncombe County has changed in form since its inception, but it was always within the folds of the Appalachian mountains, judged to be the oldest in the world. Named after a Revolutionary War figure, Colonel Edward Buncombe, the county was formed from parts of Burke and Rutherford counties in 1791.
Arden - Asheville - Biltmore - Biltmore Forest - Black Mountain - Leicester - Montreat - Swannanoa - Wood Fin - Weaverville
Bridgewater - Brindle Town - Burkemont - Calvin - Chesterfield - Connellys Springs - Drexel - Enola - Glen Alpine - Hildebran - Icard - Jonas Ridge - Joy - Linville Falls - Morganton - Oak Hill - Petersburg - Pleasant Grove - Rutherford College - Salem - Sunnyside - Valdese
Cabarrus County is a dynamic place to live and work. Home to the #1 tourist destination in the state - Concord Mills - as well as Lowe's Motor Speedway, Reed Gold Mine and beautiful parks and athletic facilities, Cabarrus County is well-known throughout the region as an attractive and growing community.
Concord - Harrisburg - Kannapolis - Locust - Midland - Mount Pleasant
Settled in the late 1760s, Carter County’s historical notability is among the most fascinating in the state. Home of the first permanent settlement outside the original 13 colonies and the first majority-rule system of American democracy, the Watauga Settlement at Sycamore Shoals (in what is now Elizabethton) was home to prominent military officials, legislators, and members of the Constitutional Convention.
Catawba County, North Carolina is located in the western part of the State in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. It was established on December 12, 1842 and, on January 8, 1845, Newton was selected as the County seat. It was one of the first counties of the 100 counties in North Carolina to adopt the county manager form of government (March 1, 1937). The Board of Commissioners has five members elected on an at-large basis to staggered four year terms.
The cities and towns in Catawba County are Brookford, Catawba, Claremont, Conover, Hickory, Long View, Maiden, Newton.
Gaston County was created on December 21, 1846. The County was named for the Honorable William Gaston, Associate Justice of the Supreme Court. Dallas was the original County Seat and held that title until 1911 when a third attempt to move the County Seat to Gastonia was finally successful. Gastonia has maintained the title ever since. Gaston County is located in the South-Central Piedmont of North Carolina. As part of the Charlotte Region, Gaston County offers a slower paced life with all the excitement of the big city right next door. Our moderate climate and natural resources provide an abundance of recreational activities for our residents and visitors. Add to that, outstanding schools, a world class hospital and a competitive market place and you'll find the quality of life in Gaston County is second to none.
Belmont - Bessemer City - Cherryville - Cramerton - Dallas - Dellview - Gastonia - High Shoals - Kings Mountain - Lowell - McAdenville - Mount Holly - Ranlo - Spencer Mountain - Stanley
The county was named for Nathaniel Greene, Revolutionary War officer. The county is in the Greeneville metro area. The estimated population in 2004 was 64,718.
Geene County includes Baileyton, Greeneville, Mosheim, Tusculum
Johnson County was created in 1836 from Carter County and named in honor of Thomas Johnson, a prominent citizen and one of the first magistrates of Johnson County. Mountain City is the largest town and the county seat of Johnson County, Tennessee. The county has a total area of 298 squares miles. the average temperature for January is 38° F while the average for July is 77° F. The average rainfall is 44 inches. The (valley) elevation is 2,400 feet above sea level. Johnson County is in the fringes of the Appalachian Mountains and includes many beautiful long, stretching valleys and moderately rolling hills as well as some fairly rugged mountains. In this region you'll also find many beautiful farms, pasture fields and timberlands.
"Accept our warm introduction to our community. A place offering newcomers and natives alike an exemplary quality of life. Friendly residents perpetuate the cordial atmosphere, embodying the ideal of Southern hospitality. An impressive combination of amenities and opportunities allows folks to appreciate the intangible beauties of life. Newcomers to the Lincoln County business community may anticipate a similar welcome. Cooperative governmental bodies work with local business leaders to encourage industrial relocation and expansion. The conscientious growth and development of the area is fostered by partnerships between the public and private sectors. Please accept our invitation to savor the simple pleasures of life in Lincoln County. Discover for yourself the advantages of living, working and playing in our dynamic community! " - http://www.lincolncounty.org/
McDowell County was organized in 1843 in Carson House (listed in National Register of Historic Places); a stagecoach inn whose famous visitors included Davy Crockett, Andrew Jackson and Sam Houston. Elevations from 900-5,665 ft. Marion - 1,240 ft. The County - 436 sq. mi. Approx. 75% of land is forested, 67,000 acres of which is Pisgah National Forest lands. Lake James, the first lake on the Catawba River, was built in the 1920's and includes 150 miles of shoreline.
The county was formed from Anson County in 1763 and named for the hometown of Charlotte Sophia of Mecklenburg-Strelitz in Germany who became the bride of England's King George III in 1762. When a town was established within the county in 1768, founders named it "Charlotte Town" for Queen Charlotte.
Historians report that the county settlement by immigrants began in the early 1700's primarily from the North along the "Trading Path", an old Indian Trail, and from the South along the rivers from Charleston. Immigrants were predominately Scotch-Irish and were not threatened by the native residents, the Catawba Indians. By 1775, many settlements and churches had been established by families such as Alexander, Polk, Latta, Selwyn, Davidson, Harris, Graham, and Torance, to name a few. Early churches included Hopewell, Rocky River, Sugaw Creek, Steele Creek, and Providence, all established in the 1750's and '60's.
The county was formed in 1861 from parts of Burke County, Caldwell County, McDowell County, Watauga County, and Yancey County. It was named for Elisha Mitchell, professor of mathematics, chemistry, geology, and mineralogy at the University of North Carolina from 1818 until his death in 1857. Dr. Mitchell was the first scientist to argue that a nearby peak in the Black Mountains was the highest point east of the Mississippi River. He measured the mountain's height and climbed and explored it. In 1857 he fell to his death on a waterfall on the side of the mountain. The mountain was subsequently named Mount Mitchell in his honor.
The county was formed in 1753 from the northern part of Anson County. It was named for Matthew Rowan, acting governor of North Carolina from 1753 to 1754. Originally, Rowan County was a vast territory with an indefinite western boundary. Reductions in its extent began in 1770, when the eastern part of it was combined with the western part of Orange County to become Guilford County, North Carolina. In 1771 the northeastern part of what remained of Rowan County became Surry County. In 1777 the western part of Rowan County became Burke County. In 1788 the western part of the now much smaller Rowan County became Iredell County. In 1822 the eastern part of the still shrinking county became Davidson County. Finally, in 1836 the part of Rowan County north of the South Yadkin River became Davie County. The "250 Fest" celebrating the 250th anniversary of Rowan County occurred in 2003.
- President Andrew Jackson practiced law in Salisbury.
- Current U.S. Senator Elizabeth Dole is from Salisbury.
- Phil Kirk, former chairman of the North Carolina Board of Education, is a Rowan native.
- Governor of North Carolina John W. Ellis was born in what was then eastern Rowan County and practiced law in Salisbury.
- U.S. Senator Lee S. Overman lived in Rowan.
Scott County is located in the beautiful rolling hills of the Appalachian Valley in the southwestern part of Virginia. With 539 square miles and a population of 23,403, Scott County borders the state of Tennessee. Our county has much to offer whether you are looking for a new residential location, an industrial location, or just a nice place to visit. Scott County was formed by an act of the general assembly on November 24, 1814, from parts of Washington, Lee, and Russell Counties and was named for General Winfield Scott. In 1856, part of Scott County was taken to form part of Wise County. The first court was held in a dwelling at Big Moccasin Gap in 1815, and the first public free schools were opened in 1870. The county seat is Gate City, at elevation 1304 feet, with a population of 2159 in the year 2000.
- June Carter Cash
- The Carter Family
- Jerry Kilgore
- Riley Franklin McConnell (USS McConnell)
The county was formed in 1841 from the part of Montgomery County west of the Pee Dee River. It was named for John Stanly of New Bern (1774-1834), who served several terms in the North Carolina House of Commons and two terms (1801-1803, 1809-1811) in the United States House of Representatives. Stanly County is a member of the regional Centralina Council of Governments.
The county is divided into ten townships: Almond, Big Lick, Center, Endy, Furr, Harris, North Albemarle, Ridenhour, South Albemarle, and Tyson.
Towns include: Albemarle - Aquadale - Badin - Locust - New London - Norwood - Oakboro - Palestine - Richfield - Stanfield - Misenheimer - Red Cross
Sullivan County was formed in 1779 by division from Washington County and named for General John Sullivan, an officer in the Continental Army. On February 7, 1780, the county court was organized at the home of Moses Looney, Sullivan County's first boundaries included Hawkins County, which was broken off from Sullivan in 1786. The county courts met in residences (in the county) including Looney's and Yancey's (near Kingsport) and Cox's, at Thomas Bridge, until 1795. State of Franklin: North Carolina, finding the protection of the western lands difficult, offered them to the United States in 1783, then withdrew the offer. Washington, Sullivan, and Greene Counties organized the State of Franklin in 1784. During this period the people had divided loyalties and operated with two sets of government officials - one North Carolina's - one Franklin's. The State of Franklin collapsed in 1788.
Established in 1875; Organized January 3, 1876; Erwin is county seat; Area originally called Greasy Cove; Name changed after the Indian tribal name of "Unaka" in 1832, Later called Longmire, Then called Vanderbilt; Incorporated in 1903; Unaka means "white, hazy, fog draped""
The county seat of Unicoi County, Tennessee, is Erwin southwest of Johnson City between Unicoi and Ernestville along Highway 19W near Nolichucky River and within the Cherokee National Forest.
The county was formed in 1842 from parts of Anson County and Mecklenburg County. Its name was a compromise between Whigs, who wanted to name the new county for Henry Clay, and Democrats, who wanted to name it for Andrew Jackson. Union County is a member of the regional Centralina Council of Governments.
The county is divided into nine townships: Goose Creek - Jackson - Marshville - Monroe - New Salem - Vance - Buford - Lanes Creek - Sandy Ridge
The county has the following towns and cities: Fairview - Hemby Bridge - Indian Trail - JAARS - Lake Park - Marshville - Marvin - Mineral Springs - Monroe (County Seat & Largest City) - Stallings - Unionville - Waxhaw - Weddington - Wesley Chapel - Wingate
Washington County was created in 1777 by an Act of North Carolina, and was Tennessee's first organized county. The county was the first in the nation to be named for George Washington. The county seat is in Historic Jonesborough.
The county has the following towns and cities: Afton - Central - Chuckey - Gray - Johnson City - Jonesborough
Limestone - Midway - Milligan - Oak Grove - Pine Crest - Piney Flats - Telford - Watauga
Washington County was named for General George Washington before he was elected President. A history of Washington County, Virginia might include all the territory originally encompassed in Augusta County, formed by the Virginia House of Burgesses in 1738; Botetourt County in 1770; Fincastle County in 1772; and Washington County established on December 7, 1776. Each of the subsequent counties split from the Washington County of 1776: Russell County in 1786, Lee County in 1793, Tazewell County in 1800, Scott County in 1814, Smyth County in 1832, Wise County in 1836, Buchanan County in 1858, Dickenson County in 1880. Each has a history of its own.
The county was formed in 1849 from parts of Ashe County, Caldwell County, Wilkes County, and Yancey County. It was named for the Watauga River, whose name is said to be a Native American word, the meaning of which is in dispute among various histories with translations ranging from beautiful water, whispering waters, village of many springs, and river of islands, to name a few. 
In 1861 parts of Watauga County, Burke County, Caldwell County, McDowell County, and Yancey County were combined to form Mitchell County. In 1911, parts of Watauga County, Caldwell County, and Mitchell County were combined to form Avery County.
Country music pioneer Al Hopkins was born in Watauga County in 1889. Eight-time Grammy Award winner Doc Watson was born in Watauga County in 1923.
Adams - Aho - Ainsley Heights - Amantha - Apple Ridge - Bald Mountain - Bamboo - Battleground - Beaverdam - Beech Creek - Beech Mountain - Bethel - Blairmont Blowing Rock - Blue Ridge - Boone - Brownswood - Brushy Fork - Cherokee Woods - Cove Creek - Deep Gap - Echo Park - Elk - Flat Springs - Forest at Blowing Rock - Forest Grove - Foscoe - Green Hill - Hemlock Creek - Hogetown - Horsebottom - Holloway Mountain - Houndsear - Kelsey - Laurel Creek - Laurel Park - Laxon Leander - Lovill - Mast - Matney - Meat Camp - Mill Ridge - Moretz - Mount Gilead - New River - Norris - North Fork - Oakgrove - Peoria - Piney Grove - Poplar Grove - Pottertown -Powderhorn Mountain - Rominger - Rutherwood - Sands - Seven Devils - Shawneehaw - Sherwood - Shulls Mill - Silverstone - Soda Hill - Solo - Sorrento Skies - Stoney Fork - Sugar Grove - Sweetwater - Valle Crucis - Valley Creek - Whaley
Independent and sturdy Scottish, English, and Irish settlers of the Carolina frontier had crossed the Blue Ridge Mountains and settled the Toe River Valley by the mid-1700's. In the year 1796, one of the early land speculators, John Gray Blount, paid for 326,640 acres (1322 km²) of land, a portion of which later became Yancey County, N.C.
In December, 1833, the General Assembly established a new western county, named Yancey, from sections of Burke and Buncombe Counties. Yancey County was named in honor of one of North Carolina's most distinguished statesmen, Bartlett Yancey, of Caswell County. As a U.S. Congressman (1813-1817) and as speaker of the N.C. Senate (1817-1827), he was instrumental in many accomplishments that benefited the state, including the creation of an education fund that was the beginning of the N.C. Public School System. He was an advocate of correcting the inequality in representation in the General Assembly by the creation of new western counties; but he died on August 30, 1828, over five years before the General Assembly created a new county named in his honor. In Yancey's boundaries looms Mount Mitchell, the highest peak in the Eastern U.S., at 6,684 feet (2037 m) above sea level.
|Add Your County||Contact Us at (828) 898-1937|